IN ARBEIT ...
Get. 03.06.1829, Jesus Gemeinde, Riga
+27.01.1918 in Riga
Stud. der Theologie an der Universität in Dorpat 1852-55, grad. Stud. 1856-58, Adjunkt in Archangelsk, Pastor seit 1856 in Kischiniev, Bessarabien, Probst der evangelischen Kirche des ersten südrussischen Bezirks, erfolgreicher Judenmissionar
Ioo ca. 1856 Erasmus, Luitgarde Anna Alexandra *05.11.1828 in Riga
+02.07.1862 in Kischiniev (Chişinău)
Kinder III, 13-14
IIoo Bernadazzi, Adelaide, verwitwete v. Lagorio
*15.09.1829 in Pjatigorsk
+09.08.1887 in Odessa, beerdigt in Kischiniev
Tochter von Guiseppe Marco Giocondo Bernadazzi (Senior), *02.09.1788 in Pambio bei Lugano, Tessin, Schweiz. (Eltern: Vincenzo Bernadazzi und Maria Catterina Bernardazzi, geb. Amadio), +1840 in Pjatigorsk, Kaukasus, Baumeister und Architekt in St. Petersburg und Pjatigorsk und der Dorothea Wilhelmine Conradi, *20.01.1802, Get. 06.02.1802 in Uslar, Solling, +08.04.1875 in Kischiniev (deren Vater war Friedrich Conradi, *30.03.1788 in Göttingen, +1848 in Pjatigorsk, 1822 Accoucheur der Medizinalverwaltung Twer, Kollegienrat (6. Klasse, Erbadel), Dr. med. Oberarzt an den Kaukasischen Mineralbädern, seit 1813 Mitglied der physikalischen und medizinischen Gesellschaft der Universität Moskau). Adelaides erster Ehemann war Eugen v. Lagorio, *1820, +08.04.1854 gefallen im russisch- türkischen Krieg in Simferopol (dessen Vater war Felix v. Lagorio), Titularrat. „Gouverneur des Krimgebietes“ (?). Sein Bruder war der Maler Lew Feliksowitsch v. Lagorio. Sie hatten drei Kinder: Sergei und Eugen starben als Kinder an der Diphterie in Feodossija und Alexander v. Lagorio heiratete Luise (v.) Faltin (Nr. III, 8) die Tochter von Hermann Alexander (v.) Faltin (Nr. II, 4).
Kinder III, 15
III oo ca. 1888 Siering, Matilde
Pastor Hellwich died on 1 March, 1856 and left behind, in extreme poverty, a widow and four children. It appears that travelling the territory brought about little success for him, which probably led to his poor health, as Sarata and Naslawtscha are always the only two villages mentioned. On his grave stone one can read that he was born on 1 October, 1808 in Wenden (Livonia). After being vacant for over three years, during which time Pastor Karl von Doll from Glückstal and Pastor Mickwitz from Cassel served the vacancy, Pastor Faltin arrived from Riga with his wife and 2 children on 2 August, 1859—a “Christmas gift” to his congregation, as he referred to himself, since he was installed on 24 December, 1858 by the Minister as Division Pastors of Kishinev. Even before the arrival of the new pastor, the congregation had finally started to give their caretaker of souls a more secure life base by carrying out the decades long plan to build a parsonage in the fenced off area. The spirit behind this undertaking was the Church Council President, Pharmacist Rosenbaum. The newly-arrived Pastor Faltin laid the foundation stone for the building yet in August 1859, which, at his request, was to house the school under the same roof. The construction moved forward briskly under the supervision of the city architect and Church Council member Bernardazzi, a man who had finished outstanding buildings here in the south. The school was dedicated a year later. The 6 parsonage was completed in October, 1861, and the benevolent fund had granted 2,000 rubles toward its construction. Around this time, Pastor Faltin’s wife died and soon two small sons followed her in death. Years later, the pastor married the sister of architect Bernardazzi and had a faithful companion for many years, but the congregation had a caring mother. Three Reich Germans moved into the city around this time: Misters Runge, Volkmann and Spitta (a son of a music composer) and built a steam mill. They were loyal helpers of the pastor for all his major thoughts on the consolidation of the parish, while the Church Council President, pharmacist Rosenbaum (as it is noted in the Chronicle) “sought to neutralize the work of the pastor by means of malicious talk.” Merchant Runge is the one who summoned Pastor Faltin to “work concerning Israel.” One of the first to be baptized was Rabbi Gurland, who later became the pastor’s assistant and, subsequently, worked a great blessing in Mitau [Jelgava, Latvia]. (cf. Kurland “Aus zwei Welten”). Concerning Rudolf Faltin’s 44 years of activities, whose life’s work still bears testimony today and whose memories are dear to the congregation, here are some dates to refresh the memory. A sanctuary (Asyl) was built for Israel [the Jewish people] in 1866. A residence for the school teacher in 1869, and, in 1871, a wing added to the parsonage for the widows of pastors. In 1870, August Wacknitz became school teacher and organist, a faithful helper to Pastor Faltin. In 1872, Merchant Runge became Church Council President. He is the one who obtained for the pastor the first congregation salary amounting to 200 rubles. That same year, cholera showed up again, but spared the congregation; only a few visiting (zugereiste) Germans were ravaged by it. In 1873, Johannes Allendorf, from the Baltic, was called as a member to the School Council, a man who became a great supporter of Pastor Faltin and his successor E. Gutkewitsch. In 1874, the cornerstone was laid for the school building on Bajukanskaja Street. A Women’s Society was founded in 1875, and Christian Löffler, who was installed as sexton when the church was dedicated in 1838, retired. In the same year, City Architect Bernardazzi celebrated his 25th year in the profession with many from the city and congregation participating. In 1877, Kishinev again became the headquarters in the war against the Turks with military important and the lowly of the Lutheran confession, Lutheran doctors and pharmacists, Lutheran brothers and sisters filled the city. Emperor Alexander II set up his residence here, celebrated his birthday here and, on that occasion, gave 600 rubles to the Lutheran school. On behalf of the headquarters, Pastor Faltin travel through the German colonies and gathered compassionate brothers; of the 200 Germans presented by him, 144 were accepted (including 12 from the Kishinev City Congregation) and trained here for Samaritan service. Many wounded and sick people arrive from the war theater and Pastor Faltin, above all, was functioning as a representative of the Red Cross. After the war, Pastor Faltin traveled through Switzerland and the Kingdom of Württemberg and lectured about his work concerning Israel. In 1881, Major Koenig gave us our church clock and Merchant Gottlieb Heer built the chapel on our cemetery. In 1883, on the 400th year of Luther, a collection was taken for a new organ, which organ builder Hoeck from Odessa then built the next year. In 1886, the chandeliers in the church were given by Johann Rapp. In 1887, Johannes Allendorf, modern secondary school teacher (Realschullehrer), became the President of the Church Council. In that same year, City Head Karl Schmidt, member of the congregation, 7 Grammar School Senior Teacher Johannes Allendorf. For many years a member of the Church Council of the Lutheran Congregation in Kishinev. Died 1913 encouraged the beautification of the cemetery and secured the salary of the cemetery caretaker through the city. A Cemetery Committee was selected which, to this very day, still cares for the resting place of those of ours who have gone home. On 28 August, 1888, the congregation celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the dedication of the church. They renovated the church inside and out in preparation for the festival. The expenses were covered through the proceeds from a festival booklet titled The History of the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Kishinev, which was written by Church Council President Allendorf. There was construction again in 1889; the school on Bajukanskaja Street was expanded and a new school building was erected on Meschtschanskaia Street. In 1890, Pastor Faltin was chosen by his brethren in the ministry to be the Provost of the South Russia Provost District and it was confirmed by the administration. A famine broke out in Bessarabia in 1893, and Provost Faltin collected the starving colonists in the city and gave them work. The impassable road to our cemetery was gravel surfaced (chaussiert) and a small guard house was built which is still today as it was back then. In 1893, water pipes were laid on the church grounds, and, due to an earthquake, chimneys collapsed and walls received large cracks. In 1896, the Division Parish, at the very most, was suspended and now the congregation had to take care of its pastor (Seelsorger) all by itself. The spreading out of the Kishinev Parish took on such a great dimension during the time that Provost Faltin was in office, that, after the retirement of Provost Faltin, the St. Petersburg General Superintendent Pingoud redistributed to other parishes of Bessarabia that which was south of Kishinev. In June of 1902, after a severe illness during the previous winter, Provost Faltin held his farewell sermon at his congregation and moved to his hometown of Riga, where he was granted the enjoyment of 15 more years of well-deserved rest. In 1918, he experienced the joy to see the entry of German troops into the Baltic country before the collapse of Germany. His wish to be here in the midst of his community and to rest in our cemetery along with the first two pastors to await the day of resurrection were not to be realized due to the changed circumstances.